Murray Anderson started Milestone Studios with Patrick Lee Thorp and Zayn Adam in 1987, to record demo songs for songwriters who were contracted to Mountain Records at the time. They included musicians like Robin Auld, Lesley Rae Dowling, Robbie Jansen, Louis Ribeiro, and many others. The studio was one of the first tenants in the Old Castle Brewery building in Woodstock, and consisted of a four-track Tascam cassette recorder, a Shure SM58 microphone, a Yamaha DX5 keyboard and RX5 drum machine, and an SPX90 signal processor.
After a few years, Murray Anderson bought out his partners, and moved to the UCA Building in Bloem Street in central Cape Town. This was to be the studio’s home until 2004. During the years up to 2004, the studio expanded from a single room featuring a Soundcraft 2400 mixing console and a 24-track Otari MTR90 2-inch tape recorder, to three fully-equipped ProTools rooms, one of which had a live recording room capable of recording bands and choirs.
Milestone Studios offers a full range of audio services, including:
- Large scale music recording in Studio 1
- Post-production for film, radio and TV commercials in Studios 2, 3, 4 and 5
- Links to other studios by ISDN or Source-Connect
- Final mix and sound design for film and television
- Music scoring by our award-winning in-house composers
- Music supervision and rights clearances for Feature films and documentaries
- Secure parking in the building
- Accommodation available in the building for out-of-town clients